- 4 skinless chicken breasts cut into 3 pieces
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 red onion peeled and sliced
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded cut into strips
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 2 medium carrots into cubes
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup of liquid chicken stock
- 400gm tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ lemon, freshly squeezed
- ¼ chilli flakes (optional)
- ½ cup of kalamata olives (deseeded) optional
- 1 & ½ cups rice
Season chicken with freshly ground black pepper. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over moderately high heat. Add the chicken and saute until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add onion, capsicum, celery and carrots to the pan and cook over moderate heat until vegetables are soft, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and cook a further 2 minutes.
Add stock, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add tomatoes, mushroom, lemon juice, olives (if using) and chilli flakes and bring to a simmer.
Return chicken to the pan, cover and simmer over low heat until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Cook rice as per packet instructions